Saturday, January 24, 2009

Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast

Tomorrow at our church, we will provide breakfast for all of our family ministry volunteers, in appreciation of all they do for the kids at RSC and for God. Dale and I, along with 2 others that don't usually serve in this ministry, will cook and serve about 45 volunteers and their families. I look forward to this event so much. We could not have a family ministry or a church for that matter without them. It seems silly that all we do is a breakfast for them when I wish we could do so much more. However, I am reminded that these people do not serve me or the kids but they serve the Lord. It is He who will ask one day...were you a good and faithful servant?

"Be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain." I Cor. 15:58

I found this poem that speaks about a nursery worker and liked it so much I thought I'd share it with you.

MY TURN IN THE NURSERY (Author Unknown)

Last Sunday was my turn in the Nursery to work
My heart wasn't in it; and my feelings were hurt;
A child from its Mother did not want to part
And it cried at lot with its broken heart
I prayed that soon the hour would end
Then I could relax - no more children to tend
Soon the hour was over - felt good to be free
I said, "Once a month is too much for me"
That very next Sunday as I sat in the pew
A very good sermon but visitors were few
But down came a woman and her soul was saved
And she was that Mother of that crying babe
Then it dawned on me that I had been a part
Of one being saved - giving God their heart
From that day on I never would dread
Working in the nursery while souls were being fed.

2 comments:

SweetPea said...

Thanks so much, Heidi, for breakfast Sunday! It was great! See you tomorrow for lunch...I'm looking forward to it :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome poem about nursery. Thank you for all you do!

Sporer family!