Friday, August 1, 2008

Peer Pressure

I have recently discovered that peer pressure in my child's life (at least at his age) is a good thing. With peer pressure, Caiden has learned how to ride his "big" bike and swim better. Because of peer pressure, we believe that Dawson talks more and wants to do everything his big brother does.

Positive peer pressure isn't too bad for us adults either. I have two groups of people that hold me accountable on my weekly time spent with God. In the past, I have had accountability on my weekly weight loss goals. In all instances, I try my best to do well for the week because I can't bear the thought of having to explain to my accountability group that I failed or didn't spend enough time with God. That is peer pressure and it keeps me on my toes. I think that accountability, positive peer pressure, is something that God truly intended for us to have and experience.

I also know that peer pressure can be negative in a child's life. I forever wish the day when the positive peer pressure turns to negative wouldn't come for my sons. However, isn't it because of peer pressure that we experience things and learn to do what is right? We just have to remember as parents that we have to have a positive impact on our child's life and make sure the "peer pressure" turns in to "pure pressure." One way to do that is to guide them according to what the Bible says.

There's your thought for the day.

No comments: