Tuesday, December 11, 2007

All Grown Up

Well, it has finally happened. I have now gotten old enough that I no longer care for or really desire anything for Christmas. Sure, I will enjoy opening my gifts on Christmas morning. But, the excitement and adrenaline rush that I have is in shopping for the perfect gift for our two precious little boys. I'm finally all grown up. Realizing this now, I can't wait to see their faces on Christmas morning. Especially, knowing that they are getting one of these http://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-Gator-seat-belts/dp/B000G0KT6Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1197436929&sr=8-1

Yes, I'm excited about the gifts and seeing the look on my children's faces. But, the most amazing thing this year is that Caiden is finally "getting it." Not the presents or the wrappings or the Santa Claus thing. He's getting the fact that the main reason we celebrate Christmas is because of the birth of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Last weekend we attended an event where a church displayed a live nativity. You should have seen the wonder and excitement in his eyes. After waiting for over an hour, the wonder was starting to diminish from Dale and my eyes, believe me! But, that moment when Caiden saw the live nativity and (what was supposed to be) baby Jesus, sealed the deal for me. I knew in that instance that Dale & I are all grown up. I knew we had done the right thing in waiting all that time. I knew that Caiden was seeing the "big picture" and what we've been teaching him in his 3 years of life, is now starting to click. As a parent, it is the moment you dream about (even more than seeing their faces as they open their gifts on Christmas morning).

This year, I'm totally driven by the fact that Christmas needs to be bigger than the presents, the stockings and wrappings. It needs to be centered around the birth of Jesus and what He has done and continues to do in our lives. Our kids need to see that. That is what the wonder of Christmas is all about (even if you are all grown up!).

P.S. If you are keeping up with my weight loss, since Thanksgiving I've backsliden a bit (gained a few pounds). But, I'm back on track this week, working out and hopefully I'll be back down on Saturday when I weigh in.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

So since I'm excited about my Christmas presents too...does that mean that I'm not old like you?!?

No really, I know the exact wonder in Caiden's eyes that you're talking about. They're getting it! Aww, it makes my heart beat faster!