Wednesday, December 5, 2007

What do you need? Accountability

Did you see this lady on Oprah? I didn't actually watch the show but I read her story online. Check it out... http://www2.oprah.com/health/weight/slide/20071128/slide_weight_tows_101.jhtml
She lost 500 pounds but didn't start losing until she started connecting with people in the outside world via a computer. She needed accountability and encouragement. Only at that point, did she begin realizing that she could win the weight loss battle.

That is what has happened with me. I needed the accountability and encouragement for my weight loss to be successful. But, that is not the only accountability I have in my life. I also have accountability for the spiritual aspects of my life. The sins I struggle with and the quiet times that I spend with God are shared with a few of my closest friends. Even Jesus showed that he needed accountability and encouragement in his life. He also provided it well as he talked and walked daily with his disciples.

So...why do we think we can be successful in any endeavor alone? The thing that held me back...pride! For a long time, I didn't want to admit to anyone that I struggled with weight (even though they could see it all over me!) or that I needed to be accountable for spending time with God. But, lately we have talking a lot about accountability in our church small group and needing it is a natural mechanism that God designed for us.

The challenge for you today...get accountability in your life! Find a friend or two that will help you through the rough parts of life and ask that they keep you accountable, whether you are trying to lose weight, quit smoking, have a sinful desire you are trying to stop or need to spend more time with God. Let's do this thing! I'll be praying for you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen!