Monday, December 31, 2007

Missing Caiden

Since last Thursday, our house has been a little more quiet. Caiden went back to "grammie & papa's" to spend a few days. Although the plan didn't originally work out as we had hoped, he was still able to stay and enjoy a few days in the snow. He loves being there alone so he can have all of grammie & papa's attention.

At first, the idea of him going to my parents house for a few days sounded like heaven to me. You see, Caiden is 3.5 years old. According to most of the mom's I know, it is not the terrible 2's you must worry about but the terrible 3's. And boy, have we had our share of terrible 3's. Lately, he's had more of an attitude and temper than he has ever had. I know this is totally normal and every child goes through this but I was hoping my child would just avoid all the attitude issues.

But now, we miss him! Even his little brother misses him. Dawson doesn't know what to do without Caiden to bug. Its been interesting watching Dawson adapt to a few days without someone to boss him around.

With all this said, it has reminded me of a poem that hangs on our refridgerator but I rarely read. I thought I would share it with you...mostly so that you can remind in a few days how much I missed my little guy, Caiden.

If I Had My Child to Raise Over Again by Diane Loomans

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
I'd see the oak tree in the acorn more often.
I would be firm less often, and affirm much more.
I'd model less about the love of power, and more about the power of love.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Ok, are you trying to make me cry?!?

Barbara said...

My family is talking about when Reid, my daughter, will be able to come visit solo. She is 3.5 as well and, while I can't imagine going to sleep in a place where she isn't within calling distance, I have promised my husband that we will go away for a few days for our anniversary in May. I'll need to psyche myself up for it. But not until I admit that it will be happening, maybe in March.